Friday, February 25, 2011

Party at Trudee's!

It was summer, it was 1980ish and we were officially Unit 5 now.  Trudee was having a party at his house on Lovers Lane in Akron, we were invited. Trudee has turned out to be Tony Bandrowsky from Manchester and not Trudee at all.  We had been playing together, Trendsetters and U5 along with the other bands in the game at the time, Hammer Damage, The Bizaroos, The Action, Chi Pig, Tin Huey rarely when they were in town because they were all hot and famous now, The Waitresses when Chris Butler was not with Tin Huey (another female fronted band, Patty Donahue). We, no longer being individuals but the single entity called Unit 5 attended the party, maybe Bob wasn't there, can't remember, Bob sometimes did things seperately with Ricky his girlfriend. I had friends there because it was an "open" party which mean, whatever, whomever.  I called some of my Bath Twp. Fairlawn friends to come hang out and dig my new scene man. They came, some loved it some were very frightened.  Diane Guillod loved it, she ended up dating some scenesters and doing the clubs with me (a lot).  My cousin Laura Carson loved it, she ended up dating some scenesters and doing the clubs with me (a lot).  Andrea was Andrea, she did what she did when she wanted and sometimes she was there and sometimes not so much, but it's all cool, growing up, moving on.  Laura Martin, hung out sometimes, liked it sometimes.  We were a little clique of high school girls that found themselves in the midst of this Akron Sound movement, on the inside of the hurricane looking out, it was a fantastic time.  Newspapers were doing articles on the bands and the scene, magazines, radio stations, we were "in with the in crowd" sometimes I had to remind myself that I was one of the people being promoted and not just a bystander or a groupie.  I felt like a groupie with all the fabulous looking guys in the clique hanging around all the time, there was no shortage of cool or leather pants, or great hair in this days. I had a huge crush on George Cabaniss from Hammer Damage, he had a girlfriend, they all had girlfriends and the Hammer Damage girlfriends were not your average breed of girlfriend, they were model goddesses, I was out, but my attention was being diverted by Tony at this point anyway, he was the epitome of charasmatic. I became friends with the Hammer Damage girlfriends, they were all quite wonderful and I still talk to some of them, ROCKY you know who you are! I never thought of myself as anything gorgeous guys would be interested in, the guys who liked me in high school were not the most gorgeous or popular, and not the undesireables, but the average guys, average guys liked me so I felt very "average", that's how it goes right?  Girls measure there worth by the guys who like them?  When Tony (Trudee) confessed his interest in me I was shocked, of course I planned to win him over before anyone else could, because I liked him...a lot, at this point I felt that "thing" that was different than a crush, it felt like....my life starting.  Trudee and Tracey would be the talk of the town for 15 minutes, when we got engaged it made the paper. But for now, we will save this for later because a LOT happened before that point, tours, records, fights, generalized craziness, but it was coming....Tracey and Trudee, the marriage of the century, tragic fairytale, tragic comedy, tragic ending.  So for now, let's talk about Unit 5 on the way up, before we talk about everything...on the way down.
I'LL STOP THE WORLD AND MELT WITH YOU, YOU'VE SEEN THE DIFFERENCE AND IT'S GETTING BETTER ALL THE TIME, THERE'S NOTHING YOU AND I WON'T DO, I'LL STOP THE WORLD AND MELT WITH YOU.

No comments: