Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hanging on the Roof With My Friends

One night that I retained for whatever reason was so fun and such a good memory for me that I thought I would share it even though it's not spectacular in anyway, it's just a night like any other but not.  Tony and I were a couple at this point, not married but dating.  We were good friends with his bass player Bob and his girlfriend Patty who was the lead singer of The Waitresses.  We were at someone's apartment in Highland Square hanging out on a roof patio, having drinks, talking, watching the sun go down.  I remember walking to Mary Coyle's in Highland Square with Patti, we just walked around and talked and went in to get cokes and I heard people at a table laughing.  Then I heard someone say "WHO would wear that"?  Well, it was me, I wore that.  It was a man shirt with matching baggy long shorts, the fabric was brightly colored comic strip design and it was OBNOXIOUS, and I loved it.  When I turned around to (more than likely) let the people laughing know how much I didn't give a shit, it turned out to be the guy I dated in high school and his Mom.  When he realized it was me, he laughed even harder and said "I should have known".  We had a nice little reunion, I forgave him (not her she was a witch) for laughing at my clothes and I left.  I remember Patty saying "What are the odds" really?  It was strange, I hadn't seen him in probably 4 years. For some reason watching the sun go down on that roof, with those friends, knowing we were all enjoying successful runs as musicians, up and coming bands, it felt like we owned the world.  Patty was moving to New York and I envied her so much. I was even jealous when I saw her apartment there for the first time with the bathtub in the kitchen for 1,000.00 a month in the 80's.  Life was good, it was special that night.  I had no idea in the blink of an eye, Patty would be a cancer casualty and Tony would be the victim of a suicide. Who knew, that night, watching the sun go down on the roof that Bob and I would be old without them and we wouldn't even know each other anymore.  I'm sure we share some inner demons and I wonder if he remembers the night on the roof, Highland Square, Akron Ohio, in the time of our greatness....
THIS IS THE LIFE THEY SAY THAT
DREAMS ARE MADE OF
DON'T FORGET
PLEASE DO FORGIVE ME
I STILL HAVE SOMETHING YOU DID GIVE ME
COME INTO MY DREAM WITH ME AND DREAM

PLEASE DON'T FORGET
DO FORGIVE ME
I STILL HAVE SOMETHING YOU DID GIVE ME
COME INTO MY DREAM WITH ME AND DREAM
OH DREAM OF PARADISE....Birds Of Paradise, The Pretenders.

No comments: