Tuesday, March 15, 2011

New York New York

I ALWAYS thought I would end up living in Manhattan, I held that dream until WAY into my 30's but different paths, different dramas played out and here I am in my hobbit hole in Hudson Ohio (which is fine by the way I love this town).  Unit 5 made a few trips to New York to play, it was always so exciting and fun, we were lucky enough to get booked into the best clubs of "the day" my favorite was Danceteria by far.  I believe we played there 2 times, one trip we went up with Hammer Damage and another time Ralph Carney's band opened the show, I remember they sat on the stage and played odd objects, pots and pans and that sort of thing.  Ralph was always and still is the most creative guy on the planet.  When all is said and done, I am not someone who likes the middle area of anything, I like extremes.  I like hot or cold, dark or light, absolute remoteness in my living arena or extreme activity in my living arena.  If I had to diagnose myself with something I would say I am definitely bi-polar, no middle ground, I swing wildly like a pendulum during an earthquake.  Can't be easy on my family and I have fought this tendency for decades, I like to think when it comes to being a wife and mother, I keep it under control to the best of my ability, I fail sometimes but who doesn't?  So me and New York...great fit, the ability to walk out the front door and be somewhere, without even the thought of needing a car, the shopping, the lights, the shows, it was, it is the perfect environment to keep me "calm" believe it or not, New York (I love Chicago as well) keeps me calm! Put me in the heart of the suburbs, in a typical neighborhood environment and I am miserable. I am fortunate enough to live on a very empty street, with a lot of beautiful land and deer and trees, I love that too.  If it were up to me I would spend time moving back and forth between city and country, but there is the money thing and I was not destined to be that free wheelin.  So Unit 5...New York City, fantastic memories.  One time we split up because Mike, Mark and I wanted to go eat at Mama Leoni's and Bob and Augy wanted to go to the art gallery.  At the time I was a Steve Martin fanatic, I loved him, he made me laugh and that has always been the key to winning me over, he was my favorite.  So, while I was having an INCREDIBLE authentic Italian meal, Bob and Augy were touring the art museum with Steve Martin who was behind them the entire time.  GOD!  The things I have given up for food.  Another time, Mark and I were walking through the Village and a reporter from The NY Times Magazine, came up and ask if they could photograph me for the fashion section so there I am on the street in NY having my photo taken because I was an example of the up and coming clothes thang!  Ironic because before the trip I thought everything I had was to "Akron" middle class so my aunt bought me this incredible red and white sailor suit with a mini skirt and there you have it, me in the Times Magazine fashion section as a trendsetter.  I loved Gramercy Park, I loved the theater district, everything about it makes me feel at home.  I actually felt a connection with the city as if I had "come back" to something I knew, it's really odd.  The first time I ever saw the buildings in the distance when we were driving in, I started to cry like a homesick person finally coming back.  I can't explain how it makes me feel to be there, but I haven't been in a long time, I miss it so much and I would LOVE to take my kids there, it would be like showing them who I am, who I really am and not the cookie baking Hudson Mom they have come to know, money is a tricky thing, it controls who we are, who we can be and what we appear to be to others.  Because of money, I appear to be the exact opposite of my true self.  I hope someday I can go back and get to know me again....These little town blues, are melting away, I'll make a brand new start of it, in old New York.If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere, it's up to you, New York New York

No comments: